Monday 30 May 2016

Millie Thomas - Long Walk Home

I used some jam jar dyed fabric for the background and some bucket dyed textured fabric for the women.  I drew freehand the shapes for the burkas.

Using variegated thread I stitched it, leaving a lot unquilted to give a sense of distance and a mountainous background.  

The plight of those women really touches me to the core, more so than the children and men for they are the ones trying to hold it all together in diabolical and risky  situations.

Whoever wants to leave the country of their birth?  Not many of us. But to have control over their futures stolen by war, to the extent that they must save their children's lives by becoming refugees, leaving their patents, or struggling to carry them too,  how must that feel? 

I know I feel helpless and hopeless just thinking about it.  How about you?

5 comments:

  1. A very appropriate piece for our time. The background fabric is so right. welcome to the group. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece for this theme. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very moving textile piece with a serious message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very moving piece and reminds me how lucky I am to live in a country where I feel safe. The colours are just right and seem to me to convey the sense of sadness these women must fell. Lovely work. Must get on and do mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very thought provoking piece of work which reminds us how privileged we are to live where we do in this world of troubled times.

    ReplyDelete