Friday 13 November 2015

LET THERE BE LIGHT - DURHAM FRAGMENT REWORKED


This piece was done for was the 'Old & New' theme and its origin lies in an article I read recently about the restoration of Chartres Cathedral - work which has caused some controversy.  Some opponents argue that it is not authentic but surely a hefty covering of dirt and grime was not there in its mediaeval glory days?  They also try to say that the great mediaeval stained glass is not shown off properly as there is no contrast any longer!  Presumably that too was alright in mediaeval times.  The cleaning is not complete and what struck me was the contrast between the clean, light refurbished parts and those which remained dirty and dark.  I wanted to bring this out in the work.

In addition, I was reminded of a piece which was made for CQ's JQs in 2009 called 'Durham Fragment'.  This is the piece above.  It was based on my own drawings of this wonderful cathedral ,which happens to be my favourite, and I wanted to rework it.  This reworking represents the old and the new whilst the Chartres restoration also illustrates old and new ( and if you like, back to the old!)


This is the result.  My primary aim was contrast, both in colour and tone whilst the quilting patterns were inspired by the stonework on Norman columns.  The patterns used simulate patchwork fabrics as I like the idea of interpreting traditional techniques in a modern way.

1 comment:

  1. great to have the explanation of how you came to make the piece. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete