Friday 28 November 2014

Hand Out/Handout

Hand Out / Handout
I had a lot of fun playing around with the phrase. Not being able to choose any single meaning since I just couldn't make any of them turn into pictures in my head, I resorted to messing around with words instead. 
For the background I chose one of "failed" dyed pieces. It had been put aside for overprinting. Here it represents the sometimes conflicting meanings of the word/phrase Hand out / Handout. Some have meanings which arouse strong feelings in some people - hence the bright colours. I searched for meanings in my dictionary and Thesaurus, jumbling these all together in to a sequence of words which are repeated as part of the background. The calligraphy was achieved by writing directly onto the background fabric using permanent markers. Over the top is the outline of my left hand printed onto silk, again with repeated words. The whole piece has been free-machine quilted using hand outlines in variegated thread.

6 comments:

  1. Well done Mandy.This is most effective.A good use of a 'failed'fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought long and hard about this one but so far have not come up with anything further than writing text on a background, but a background to what. Well done Hilary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Irene,but I'm afraid I can't take any credit for this piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Mandy, congratulations should have gone to you in my comment above.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No problem, Irene. I do value your comments, and yes, this was not an easy topic.

    ReplyDelete