Tuesday 11 February 2014

Before my 2014 begins!

The minute the theme for November (at least I THINK it was November) was announced, I knew what I wanted to do.  I had this all planned for a larger art quilt but....oh well.  Seemed like a smaller one fit the bill for now.  From October through January my life was a zoo inside a hurricane, but this one I just couldn't let go.  It is inspired by a Hubble photograph of the Orion Nebula.  The background is a pounded fabric (black with gold metallic) which suits just fine I think. I had already dyed the cheesecloth for the larger piece. I love the jewel tones of the nebula and this brings that out. Also...just to give it a bit of outer space sparkle...I place some Angelina behind parts of the cheesecloth.  I'm very happy with it!!

It IS 12X12, just had to take the photo with my iPhone as my camera is headed to the shop. ;-((( so it looks a bit off kilter.

January's theme has me bum-fuzzled. But I'll come up with something. February's theme is difficult currently in that there are way too many ideas floating around in my head.  I've so far gotten it narrowed down to 4 or 5.  It will start tomorrow if all goes well.  



7 comments:

  1. It is great! If you can come up with something for the January theme, you will be the first one, we all struggled with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good interpretation of the theme. I have had one try at pounding fabric, it was a failure, I think I did not have the fabric wet enough with paint, it is fascinating to keep seeing reference to pounded fabric on this site. Must try harder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the different colours and textures. I have not heard of the idea of pounded fabric before - clearly a technique I must look up and try out. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy, I have not found this technique on google, but it goes like this. Put a piece of wet fabric into a plastic bag. 'Pound' with a bristle brush diluted paint all over it. Close the bag and put it in a warm place. Leave it there for about a week. Open the bag a bit and leave it till the fabric is completely dry. Iron the fabric to heat set it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, thanks for letting me know, Wil. Definitely something I must try. Thanks for showing a quilt using this technique, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the texture on this piece. Cheesecloth was perfect for this, and the pounded fabric has lots of texture too. Thank-you so much for sharing this piece. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all of you! I so appreciate the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete