Tuesday 27 August 2013

Beach Combing by Irene MacWilliam

Theme Life at the Beach

Yet again I found the theme very difficult. I took the easy way out and used a photo of my daughter and grandson on the beach. For a long time I have wanted to use this photo in my work so this has got it out of my system. The sand area is using the back of a commercial fabric that has some painting and printing on it that I did for another project. I used various colour changing threads for the parallel rows of quilting, - what a waste of time that was as they only show up on careful inspection and do not really add to it.
The only interesting thing about this piece is that it was only when I looked at my photo on the computer that I realised I had missed out some of the stitching line at the bottom of the child's sweater.

6 comments:

  1. I really like the line quality of the drawn figures on this piece, Irene. The contrast of the line drawings on a coloured background is something that appeals to me. One thing I really appreciated was the delightful touch of the binding following the colours of the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a delight Irene, very expressive and I can imagine being there with them and watching them in the rock pools. I do know what you mean about the stitching though, I too have spent ages changing threads only to have an over all effect that could easily have been achieved with a single reel of variegated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing wrong with taking an easy way out. The result you got is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking the easy way was not really satisfying to me in this piece. Maybe I just think / actually I know it lacks something, I feel it does not have much me in it.

      Delete
    2. It is probably because it is so unlike your usual work that you find it difficult to like this piece, Irene. I, for one, am so glad that you made this delightful piece and shared it with us.

      Delete
  4. This really captures the essence of beach combing.I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete