Friday, 22 February 2013


Well not yet outside, but Spring is the theme for February and this is what I created for this theme:

After the winter months, I really am in need of flowers :-). But let's get back how I started working on this. First I made the background by tearing a piece of snow dyed fabric into strips and placing the strips in random order on top of the batting and background fabric:

Whenever I make something which has applique on it, I prefer to do the quilting before I add the applique. And as there are multiple pieces of fabric in the background I need a rather dense quilting. I decided to go with this design and quilted till the edges of the fabric. In other words over the edges of the batting:

For the appliqued flowers I used commercial batiks and for the vase a hand dyed fabric.
Normally I write my labels, but this time I decided to include the qr code of my website on it as well. I printed this together with my usual information and ironed the label to the back of the quilt.
This will probably be something I will be doing in future with all my labels. Just for purpose of posting the picture on my blog I removed part of my address. There is some privacy I prefer :-).


  1. This is lovely and cheerful.The snow dyed fabric is gorgeous- how could you bear to cut it up!

  2. Without any problems :-). It was one of my less interesting fabrics.

  3. Gives hope of spring. I love background that suggests one might still get snow.

  4. Gotta love the irony....snow dyed fabric depicting spring! Way cool!!